Saturday, February 26, 2011

The score on boxing

I can’t believe my month of boxing is at an end. You know when something is on your brain and it suddenly seems like everywhere you go or look that thing is there? That has been February for me and boxing. Seriously, I was hearing boxing references, seeing boxing links, and reading boxing stories everywhere! Maybe it’s because Marky-Mark’s movie The Fighter has been getting rave reviews. (Side note: On an interview I heard the other morning, Mike Tyson said that unless Mark Wahlberg had the Funky Bunch with him, Marky-Mark alone could not defeat Tyson in a boxing match. I love morning radio!)

As this is my final post on boxing, but my first “score” post, let me break it down for you. I’ve developed a highly sophisticated Injured Player Scorecard. ;) The score is based on nine categories that are rated on a 1 to 5 scale; this month you’ll see boxing gloves. The more gloves you see the better the rating for the category.

But first, here are a few pointers to consider if you’re wondering if boxing is for you:
  • Love the cool factor? Let’s be honest. You tell someone you’re a boxer and your street cred is sure to go up.
  • Want to build your confidence and feel safe walking alone? Whether or not it’s true, I definitely felt like I could kick some butt every time I left the gym. Even when I was shadow boxing at home trying to get my technique right I felt tougher.
  • Although boxers have a support system – coaches for example – it is a solitary sport. You’re the only one in the ring after all. Undoubtedly you meet people that love the sport, but it’s not like joining a team where you have instant friends.
  • Boxing is a game of strategy (and moxie). Even if you don’t get into the ring to fight, practicing gives you an opportunity to work through different scenarios and decide how best to respond. The sport challenges you both mentally and physically.
Want to try it for yourself? If you’re not in Victoria and can’t get to Capital City Boxing, click here for a site listing various boxing clubs across Canada.

Now for the debut Injured Player Scorecard!


Next month's sport TBD. Stay tuned.

2 comments:

  1. Have you ever thought about playing Horseshoes? Im serious. Victoria has one of the Biggest Horseshoe clubs in Canada. Check out our webpage at http://www.victoriahorseshoeclub.com/
    Or drop by our clubhouse Mar. 26 for our Open house and fun doubles tournament. 11-3

    couldn't find a way to msg you on your website. email me at xpostie@shaw.ca

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for the suggestion Tom. I hadn't thought of it, but I would definitely like to come by during your Open House. I've got it marked in my calendar and unless there's a scheduling conflict I will be there.

    ReplyDelete