Wednesday, May 4, 2011

I'm gonna be a biker...

It's a new month, which means time to try a new sport. What says spring more than the month of May? Maybe getting on a bike and peddling around? That's right. I'm gonna be a biker. At least for a month anyway!

Time and again I've mentioned that I live in Victoria, BC. Not only is it beautiful, but it's also a prime spot for athletes of all abilities. In the past few months the city has been buzzing with one subject - cycling.

Sometimes the chatter is controversial (i.e. will the Johnson Street bridge be able to accommodate the hundreds of cycling commuters?), but more often it's about the thrill of competition and the love of the sport of cycling.

Only a few months ago, the first ever Victoria International Cycling Festival was announced. And it's big people!

For those of you who aren't avid cycling enthusiasts, I'm going to bet you've heard of the Tour de France. Victoria's own Ryder Hesjedal is one of only a handful of Canadians to have competed in this world class event and done well. Given his love of the sport, Ryder came home and decided it was time to launch something here - so this May Victoria will host the first Tour de Victoria and kick of its first cycling festival. (Can I just use this opportunity to point out the obvious? How perfect is it that the Hesjedal's named their son after the activity he would eventually take to new levels in Canada?!)

So, it's in the stars that this month be about cycling.

I'm going to borrow a friend's road bike. But for now, I thought I'd take out my old bike - neither road bike nor mountain bike - and get a feel for being on two wheels again.

People always say, "It's like riding a bike: you never forget!" I'm going to put that old adage to the test. The first step was for me to dust off the ol' bike and pump up the tires. Find out more later this week...

And, if you're interested in participating in the activities associated with the festival, details are on the festival's site: www.vicf.ca

For those wanting some pictures from my TC10K experience, here you go!

The road ahead, mid race
Helping the Victoria Foundation mark its 75th anniversary supporting our community!
My friend Liz and I... finally done!

No comments:

Post a Comment